Monday 3 June 2013

‘Lo stato miserabile di essere è quelle tristi anime né fedele né infedeli al loro Dio,’


‘Lo stato miserabile di essere è quelle tristi anime né fedele né infedeli al loro Dio,’
(The wretched state of being is those sad souls neither faithful nor unfaithful to their God)

- June, 2013
- Media: Etching

This work depicts personal conflicting ideas of religion and the afterlife. The idea for this piece stems from my adolescent age that is allowing the continuity of ‘growing up’ themes within my life, as I begin to question the moral teachings of society, school and my family. The basic ideology of this work is the contemplation of the life after death. Various influences have forced me to conclude that at the end of one’s life, we are all tainted with both sin and goodness, yet the bible basically states that the ‘good’ go to heaven and the ‘bad’ go to hell. In turn, for the majority of the population that is guilty of both offences, where do they go? This work shows the conclusion of the remnants of such a person in purgatory, primarily protruding to the audience that I, myself, are still unsure about the outcome of life after death.

Influences that have helped me succeed in this work include my reading of the ‘Divine Comedy’, by Dante Alighieri. Alighieri was a 13th century Italian philosopher, who wrote literature regarding his perceptions of Christian beliefs. The Divine Comedy is separated into three books; Hell, Purgatory and Paradise. The novels follow the imagined journey of Alighieri exploring each location and the type of people that are reduced to those circumstances.

The primary influence of German Expressionist artist, Otto Dix, has also aided in the production of this work, as the etching is an adaption his work called ‘Der Krieg’ (The War). Dix used his personal experiences from war to portray an image of a fallen soldier and the slow degradation of his body. Dix’s skull inspired my debate over the existence of the afterlife, as soldiers have committed sins but do it for the protection of their people and country. Correspondingly, these soldiers developed my category of the type of people that are guilty of both sin and goodness, and thus are presented in my work.

I choose to think of my work as a continuation and thus adaption of Dix’s symbolic image. Dix has accurately produced an image of a fallen man, yet my various inclusions and subtractions portray a further story of his aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment