Monday 3 June 2013

‘I must get my soul back from you; I am killing my flesh without it,’


‘I must get my soul back from you; I am killing my flesh without it,’
- March, 2013
- Media: Linoprint

My work depicts the ongoing issue of human trafficking in China and the turmoil that the victims face at the hands of their exploiters. In particular, I chose to represent the begging and slavery aspect of human trafficking, where exploiters force young victims to beg on the street for money and food, and physically maim them to look more vulnerable to supporters of this trade. Any individual who gives money to these victims unknowingly support this trade, as all money provided towards the victims usually go to the exploiters. Authorities are indecisive on how to deal with this issue, as victims are never on the receiving end of the finances; therefore it does not provide assistance to them whatsoever. Accordingly, if the victims do not earn enough money within a given time period, they are further punished by their exploiters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment